Sunny Ridge Farms has a passion to provide the best customer experience using natural and organic approaches to farming methods wherever possible. This policy illustrates our protocols in respect of our environmentally sustainable approach to farming.
Soil and Substrate Preparation
- Sunny Ridge farms both traditionally in the soil, as well as hydroponically in coir (substrate). Coir is naturally occurring (untreated) and biodegradable soil substitute – coconut husk.
- Traditional soil preparation (5-6 months prior to cropping) involves a combination of natural (for instance crop rotation) and inorganic methods (treatment of soil under plastic to remove pathogens) to ensure the soil is suitable to create great berries.
Irrigation & Fertigation
- Sunny Ridge farms use sustainable bore, harvested and recycled water without reliance on community water resources.
- Our water is supplemented with only organic nutrients to best feed our berries.
Pest & Disease Control
- Sunny Ridge farms use an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach which is an environmentally sensitive way of managing pests. It uses a combination of best farming practices and control methods with the aim of preventing problems from occurring and reducing the need for pesticide intensive activities.
- The introduction and management of natural predators to address common pests is a feature of the IPM approach.
- Residual pest and disease risks at times will be addressed via the use of soft non-persistent treatments. Our harvest teams take care to ensure picking and all crop treatments are suitably timed to protect the purity of our berries.
- Sunny Ridge quality teams review all harvested fruit to ensure that only the best berries are delivered to our customers.